Yes we know that the swimming season is over and for most of the country,…
AutoPilot has been in business since 1976 because of this we constantly receive questions from current or prospective clients. One of the most popular is “What Size Salt Cell Do I Need for My Swimming Pool Salt Chlorine Generator?” In this article we will try to answer this question for you in order to help you determine the correct cell size for your pool.
There are a few factors to take into consideration when determining the size of a cell for your swimming pool salt chlorine generator. Upsizing and getting the largest size cell you can afford will extend the length of time before the cell is depleted. However, for spas, avoid oversizing:
- Volume of Water you are sanitizing. All manufacturers tend to rate their cells for the volume of water they can handle. It is important to remember these ratings are based upon a 24/7 run time for a residential pool. For commercial pools, contact us directly so we can size your chlorine generator needs properly, and according to your State’s Department of Health Guidelines.
- Bather Load. The bather load is basically the amount of users your swimming pool regularly has. A pool with little or no usage will require much less sanitizing capabilities than a pool that the neighborhood kids congregate at every day in the height of the summer.
- Dogs. If you have a dog or dogs that enjoy a daily swim, the effect they have on sanitizing needs is similar to a heavy bather load of the human variety.
- Water Temperature. Higher water temperatures need more chlorine and conversely, cold water temperatures need less. If you tend to maintain higher temperatures or summer time heat drive temperatures high, upsize your cell selection.
- Pump Run Times. If your pool volume is close to the maximum capacity for your pump run time, and you have a heavy bather load, you should upsize the cell to the next largest size in order to be certain that your swimming pool salt chlorinator has the ability to create a safe and healthy swimming pool for all swimmers to enjoy!
Many pool owners that are considering switching from chlorine to a salt chlorine generator ask what size cell they should use for their system. We have many different systems and cell sizes that will be able to help you with your decision. If you would like to read more about our systems please click here, or if you would like for us to contact you and help you decide on the system required for your pool, please click here.
Please feel free to ask any questions or comments below, we would be happy to answer them for you!